If you have chronic jaw pain, a teeth grinding habit or other dental issues may be contributing to your discomfort. Grinding or clenching your teeth puts pressure on your temporomandibular joints (TMJ), which connect your jaw to your skull. This can result in a TMJ disorder (TMD). If so, our TMJ treatment in Oakmont will provide relief. Our dentists can fit you for a custom mouthguard that will:Doctor Todd Resek on TMJ Treatment at Oakmont Advanced Dentistry Read Transcript
TMJ, if you have joint problems, it seems like you're never comfortable. We offer entry level care here. We'll treat you with splints or muscle relaxers. We teach you about massage, hot compresses. I have chiropractors that I will refer to that can help manipulate the joint and make it more comfortable. One of my favorite ways of treating TMJ problem is or BOTOX. We will inject the muscles of mastication and it relaxes them. If the muscles are not fighting in a tug of war, you can very often get some relief with TMJ problems. So we have several different methods of helping you.
- Gently shift your jaw into a position that takes pressure off your TMJ
- Stop teeth grinding, a habit that not only puts pressure on your jaw but can damage your teeth
- Relieve your jaw pain and other TMJ symptoms such as facial pain, earaches, and headaches
- Make eating, sleeping, and other everyday activities comfortable again
If you think you may have a TMJ disorder, call Oakmont Advanced Dentistry at 412-828-3311.
Start With a Conservative TMJ Treatment Option
Compared to other possible TMJ remedies that involve altering your bite with orthodontics or dental crowns, a mouthguard is a conservative option. A TMJ mouthguard works for many people, so our dentists recommend trying it first. It is a less invasive and more affordable way to treat TMJ pain.
In addition to mouthguards, we can treat TMJ disorder with:
- Massages, compresses, and other techniques we can show you how to use at home
- Muscle relaxants, in pill form and/or injections that can relax your facial muscles
- Referral to a chiropractor, who can manipulate your TMJ and alleviate the pain
Don’t Ignore TMJ Symptoms
How do you know if you have a TMJ disorder? Our dentists will carefully assess you. You should see us ASAP if you’re experiencing these TMJ symptoms:
- Chronic jaw pain
- Difficulty opening your mouth
- Frequent unexplained earaches
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Facial pain, especially around your jaw
Call us at 412-828-3311 to see how TMJ treatment in Oakmont can relieve your pain. You can also schedule online. Our office is located at 200 Allegheny River Blvd., near the Kerr Museum and Oakmont Bakery.