- Stop gum disease before gum & bone loss occur
- Relieve gum tenderness, bleeding, & bad breath
- Enjoy pain-free treatment with our dental laser
Did you know you could have gum disease right now and not even be aware of it? Regular checkups every six months will help us catch and treat it before it gets out of hand. The dentists at Oakmont Advanced Dentistry have helped many of our patients restore their gums to health. Here are some great benefits of gum disease treatment in Oakmont:Image Title: Gum Disease Treatment Doctor Todd Resek on Gum Disease Treatment at Oakmont Advanced Dentistry Read Transcript
Doctor Todd Resek on Gum Disease Treatment at Oakmont Advanced Dentistry
Gum disease is a very important topic in dentistry. Gum disease generally speaking, works silently. Most people that I see that have gum disease are not even aware of it. I like to analogize gum disease to high blood pressure. Very often you don't know that you have high blood pressure, unless you're extreme and some symptoms have set in. Otherwise, you have to rely on your doctor to tell you. Gum disease is the same way. It can start like a spot of rust, and just get worse and worse every year. It starts with bleeding gums, bad breath, loose teeth, and it can not only have an impact on you orally, but gum disease is proven to effect you systemically. Gum disease can affect your heart, gum disease can affect children. Baby's birth weight can be lowered due to gum disease. Gum disease can often, the bacteria, can be transmitted through a kiss. So it's very important to screen for it and to treat actively. That's something that we pursue at our office.
- An improved smile and more self-confidence
- Prevention of bone, gum, and tooth loss
- Better oral health and potentially better overall health
- A more attractive appearance
- More comfortable biting and chewing
- Fresher breath
- No more painful, bleeding, or tender gums
If you think your gums could be suffering, call us today for your appointment: 412-828-3311. Our office is at the corner of Allegheny River Boulevard and College Avenue.
Take Care of Your Gums to Prevent Bigger Problems
Diseased gums are not a problem you should ignore. Research has linked gum disease to a number of serious health issues, including heart disease, diabetes, stroke, respiratory infections, and certain types of cancer.
That’s why we always examine your gums as part of your checkup. If we see signs of gum disease, there are two different approaches we can take, depending on your circumstances. Either method may be paired with antibiotic treatment to help kill harmful bacteria:
- Deep Cleaning Through Scaling and Root Planing – Our team will rid your gums of plaque, tartar, and bacteria using special precision instruments. We will gently clean the area under your gumline between your teeth roots and gums (scaling). Then we will smooth out the roots (planing) so bacteria have difficulty recollecting there. Ask about methods to make this treatment comfortable for you.
- Laser-Assisted Gum Treatment – To kill harmful bacteria that live below your gums, your dentist can use a thin laser the width of only three human hairs. As a painless alternative to traditional gum surgery, we will gently insert the laser between the tooth roots and gums. It eradicates plaque and bacteria so your gums can begin healing. Best of all, your gums won’t be cut, so you won’t need any stitches.